How to Deal with an Ungodly Pastor
by John Warrener
Jude 1:3-4 (NIV) Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you
about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith
that was once for all entrusted to the saints. 4 For certain men whose condemnation was
written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who
change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only
Sovereign and Lord.
of recent trends involving the issues of homosexual marriage and lifestyle being preached
in our United Methodist Churches as acceptable by ordained clergy, as well as other
scripturally and traditionally unholy ideas and practices, I have received various pleas
for help from lay people around the country facing this in their own churches.
One church leader asked if it was possible for a church to be under satanic
To which I answer, Yes, any church that can be described as
the scripture above is under satanic attack. The Devil is crafty, but his plan is
I. Satan's Plan
A. On a Church Level, it follows this pattern:
- secretly slip in an intolerable heresy by godless men(women)
- outrage the members into fleeing their local church
- assume the tangible assets and leadership of the church
- another church's witness of Christ has been neutralized
I have personally seen it happen to several churches of my family members.
B. On a personal faith level, the pattern is like this:
- the Devil creates great turmoil and crises in the eyes of the believer
- all eyes of true believers are focused upon the crises
- the crises (the Devil's creation) is now directing the believer through the believer's
- Jesus Christ is no longer the Lord of the believer's life, the Devil is doing the
directing through reactions to the crises
- another faithful believer's witness of Christ has been neutralized
II. What to do:
A. Pray, Pray, Pray
- Pray for your own faith. This is an attack of the Devil which is upon
the faithful believers and not Christ's Church.
- Pray for the souls of these godless men(women) that they may be
convicted by the Holy Spirit and saved from their heresy which leads to a more terrible
- Pray for each other in order to fix your eyes upon the source of your
strength and not be directed by the problems created by the Devil.
B. Study, Study, Study
- Study the Bible with true believers to uphold and encourage faith and
rebuke error. Use John Wesley's comments on the New Testament. (visit the Confessing Movement -
Articles - Historic Documents to download them)
- Study the historic Wesleyan traditions of our denomination. (Also at
the CM - Articles
- Historic Documents site)
- Study the Confessing
C. Meet, Meet, Meet
- Meet together as true believers to encourage one another (in homes if
- discuss (gripe) at first to identify the Devils distractions
- confess your little faith before God and one another
- surrender these gripes by name to God's care and let them go for the rest of the meeting
- focus on prayer and study
- Meet at all the church meetings.
- stand firm in the faith with what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you in your prayer and
- don't worry about winning anything, worry about being obedient
- look forward to your next prayer and study meeting
- Meet and join with other renewal-spiritual groups outside your local
- The Confessing Movement
- Good News
- Promise Keepers
- RENEW (women's group)
- Walk to Emmaus
D. Share, Share, Share
- Share what you are learning and experiencing with other members of your
- Share what you are learning and experiencing with others who are not
members of your church
- Share Christ with another person who does not know him as Lord
E. Final Encouragement
- If the faithful members of your congregation can:
- remain, and not flee
- join together to encourage each other
- You will be able to stand firm and not attack
- The godless men(women) will flee!
- Remember the goal is not to win-that's God's job! Your goal is to stand firm and
not be moved.
Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV) Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty
power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's
schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,
against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual
forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that
when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done
everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your
waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with
the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the
shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And
pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in
mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
III. Let us Pray,
Eternal and Almighty God, you truly are the God of heaven and earth.
Lord, I lift up and place under your mercy all the saints and their faith.
Lord, if you choose, give them the supernatural gift of faith, that they might
become encouraged and increase the faith of others. Cover them with your precious
redeeming blood, fill them with the power of your Holy Spirit, and protect them from the
demonic forces of evil which would seek to diminish their Christian witness.
Lord, bring the faithful saints of the United Methodist Church together in one
accord to stand firm in the faith of Jesus Christ.
Lord, expose any sin on the part of your saints, forgive us, and make us fit
vessels to stand firm in the spiritual battle ahead.
In the name of Jesus Christ the Lord, I rebuke the power and schemes of the
Devil and command you to leave Christ's Holy Church.
Lord, cleanse and renew our denomination again, to your glory and power.